Portsmouth Historic Dockyard website terms and conditions for use. Please read them carefully before placing your order.
“PHD” refers to Portsmouth Historic Dockyard, which is operated by the National Museum of the Royal Navy operations on behalf of the following:
- National Museum of the Royal Navy, registered charity number 1126283
- Portsmouth Naval Base Property Trust, registered charity number 293188
- Warrior Preservation Trust Limited, registered charity number 256756
- HMS Victory Preservation Company, registered charity number 1146376
“NMRN” means The National Museum of The Royal Navy.
“Attractions” refers to all attractions located within the Portsmouth Historic Dockyard and those offsite, but which are included in the sale of the Full Navy Ticket or variable attraction tickets offered by PHD.
“Product” shall mean a product displayed for sale on this website.
“Summer” and “Winter” mean the seasons of operation, the dates of which can be found on our announcements page.
“We/us” means PHD.
“Website” means the website located at www.historicdockyard.co.uk or any subsequent URL which may replace it.
“You” means a user of this website.
- General information
- All attractions and entertainments are subject to availability. Please ensure you have checked the announcements page before your visit to confirm attraction availability and are aware of any closures.
- All proceeds from ticket and merchandise sales are used to support the charitable purposes of the member parties of PHD, which include promoting and assisting in the display, understanding and enjoyment by the public of the Historic Dockyard and the ships, museums, exhibits or attractions contained within.
- Additional Gift Aid revenue from the government is split between the charitable trusts that make up the PHD site.
- Full Attraction Ticket purchased now include the use of a waterbus which operates between The Royal Navy Submarine Museum and Explosion Museum in Gosport, and Portsmouth Harbour. The waterbus has limited capacity and is operated on a first come first served basis and is therefore subject to availability. PHD reserves the right to cancel this service at any time.
- Some attractions have partial disabled access.
- We regret that with the exception of assistance and guide dogs, animals are not permitted on site.
- No professional photography/videography equipment is permitted onsite without prior arrangement with our media team. See our filming page for details.
- Opening times
- PHD reserves the right to change opening times, prices, validity of ticket duration and availability of all attractions without notice. Please see individual attraction opening times for related information about accessibility and the attractions differing opening and closing times.
- Site opening times are 10am - 5.30pm during Summer and 10am - 5pm during Winter, 7 days a week excluding certain dates and as per restrictions below. Off-site attraction opening times differ. Please see our announcements page for full details.
- The waterbus operates between 10am - 5pm daily during Summer, unless weather or other operational restrictions apply. During Winter, the waterbus operates under a restricted service, weekends only and subject to weather or other operational restriction.
- The Royal Navy Submarine Museum is included as part of a Full Navy Ticket and is open from 10am - 5pm every day during Summer and 10am - 4:30pm during Winter with the exception of Mondays and Tuesdays when it is closed (except for Hampshire school holidays and half terms).
- Explosion Museum is included in a Full Navy Ticket and is open daily from 10am - 5pm during Summer. It is open Saturday and Sunday only 11am - 3pm, during Winter (last admission to the galleries at 2pm).
- Royal Marines Museum - Please note that the public galleries are now closed to facilitate a move to new premises in the Dockyard.
- Ticket terms and conditions
- A Full Navy Ticket to Portsmouth Historic Dockyard gives 12 months unlimited entry from the visit date printed on the ticket to all attractions excluding special events. The variable Attraction Tickets are valid for one day only excluding special events.
- Tickets to our other NMRN sites; Fleet Air Arm Museum, HMS Caroline and National Museum Royal Navy Hartlepool are valid all year if gift aided, if not they are only valid for 1 day.
- We operate a policy of no refunds or exchanges for tickets bought at admissions or booked online.
- All prices are inclusive of VAT at the current rates and are correct at the time of entering information onto the system.
- PHD reserves the right to change prices at any time.
- A Full Navy Ticket and variable attraction tickets are not valid for any special events taking place at the attractions or within Portsmouth Historic Dockyard. Please see our events page for upcoming events.
- Tickets do not include entry to Laser Quest or Mini-Ports (additional charges apply).
- Gift aided tickets are subject to Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs (HMRC) regulations and are therefore not eligible for a refund.
- Lost tickets cannot be replaced under any circumstances.
- Original tickets only - photocopies etc. will not be accepted.
- Tickets must not be sold or resold and are non-transferrable. You may be asked for ID to match your ticket name, if you are unable to provide matching ID, PHD reserves the right to refuse entry.
- Tickets must not be laminated.
- Tickets are non-transferrable and you may be asked for ID to match your ticket name, if you are unable to provide matching ID, PHD reserves the right to refuse entry. The name on the email confirmation does not matter (for example if you purchased as a gift) as you will sign your tickets on your first visit.
- The management reserves the right to refuse entry, if for any reason they deem there is a risk to PHD and the attractions and the public or staff on site.
- Improper use of the ticket will result in confiscation and a request for payment for admission.
- Admission for children under 5 is free. Under 16’s must be accompanied by adult due to the ages and height restrictions at some of the attractions on site.
- Tickets are sold online all day, or between 10am - 4:30pm (Summer) and 10am - 4pm (Winter) from the Visitor Centre.
- Event tickets For certain events, concessionary rates are available for Seniors (60+) and students (ID may be required). Check individual Events for prices.
- Tickets for the Victorian Festival of Christmas Tickets are only valid for the day of purchase and do NOT allow entry on any other date and for any other attraction.
- Full Navy Ticket cannot be used on educational visits.
All vouchers/tickets and offers must be redeemed in Portsmouth Historic Dockyard’s Visitor Centre before the expiry date shown. Ticket is valid for one year unlimited entry (excluding special event days) from date of exchange and can only be used for the attractions highlighted on the ticket. Promotional offers and vouchers cannot be combined or used in conjunction with any other offers. Tickets cannot be exchanged and are non-transferable and can only be redeemed by the named winner or voucher holder. Vouchers cannot be redeemed online or over the phone. Promotional offers and vouchers cannot be sold or re-sold. Promotional offers or voucher that has been lost or stolen, cannot be replaced under any circumstances. Promotional offers and vouchers. cannot be used against special event tickets or Loyalty Club tickets.
If in the event of any complaints, please direct enquiries to Customer Complaints, Portsmouth Historic Dockyard, Visitor Centre, Victory Gate, HM Naval Base, Portsmouth, PO1 3LJ or call 023 9283 9766. For more information on our complaints procedure, please download complaints procedure PDF.
- Data policy
- Website terms and conditions
- Product information
Prices are subject to change without notice and inclusive of value added tax (VAT) at the current rates. Products are subject to availability. As there is a delay between the time when the order is placed and the time when the order is accepted, the stock position relating to particular items may change. If an item you have ordered becomes out of stock before we accept your order, we shall notify you as soon as possible.
- Purchase of tickets
When you place an order on our website we will email you an acknowledgement of your intended order. At the time of purchase of the order the purchase contract will be made and you will be charged. Any discounts triggered by the entry of a promotional code will not be applied until the order is accepted but will be detailed on the invoice. We reserve the right to reject any offer to purchase by you at any time in our sole discretion. However, non-acceptance of an order is most likely to result from one of the following: the product ordered being unavailable from stock; our inability to obtain authorisation of payment; the identification of an error within the product information including price or promotion. If there are any problems with your order we shall contact you.
All prices are inclusive of VAT at the current rates and are correct at the time of entering information onto the system. All cardholders may be subject to validation checks and authorisation by the card issuer. If the issuer of your payment card refuses to or does not, for any reason, authorise payment to us, we will not be liable for any delay or non-delivery. We do not accept payment by cheque, cash or postal orders. Processing is reserved against your card at the time the order is placed, but will not be charged until the order is dispatched. If for some reason a purchase fails, due to problems with payment details, we will attempt to contact you by phone or email within one working day. Once your order has left our warehouse we will send you an email to confirm that your order is on its way.
- Third party links
Certain (hypertext) links in this site may lead to websites that are not under the control of PHD. When you activate any of these you will leave the PHD website and PHD shall not be liable to you in any way whatsoever in respect of the privacy practices, the content of such site or otherwise.
- Intellectual property
You agree that all copyrights, trademarks and all other intellectual property rights in the material and content of this website shall remain vested in us or our licensees. You acknowledge and confirm that the material and content contained within the website is made available for your personal non-commercial use only and that you may (if necessary to make a purchase) download such material and content onto only one computer hard drive for such purpose. Any other use of the material and content of this website is strictly prohibited.
- Limitation of liability
Notwithstanding our reasonable endeavours to verify the accuracy of the information appearing on this website, we make no express or implied warranties in relation to its accuracy. Our liability to you in the event of our breach of any of these terms and conditions shall be limited to refunding any money you may have already paid for product that you have not received or that you have returned within the agreed time scales and in the required condition. So far as the law allows, we shall not be liable to you for any other loss or damage whatsoever. Your statutory rights as a consumer and your cancellation rights are not affected by these terms and conditions. Nothing in these terms and conditions shall exclude or limit our liability for death or personal injury resulting from our negligence or that of our employees or agents.
Any delay or failure on our part to exercise our rights under these terms and conditions shall not be construed as a waiver of any prior or subsequent breach by you of any provision.
- Governing law
The laws of England shall govern the contract between us and any dispute between us will be resolved exclusively in the courts of England.