Job vacancies at Portsmouth Historic Dockyard and its associated attractions are advertised within these pages and externally in the relevant press. Please only apply for vacancies that are available as we are unable to reply to speculative letters.
Salary: £8.70 per hour
3 x permanent positions - 37.5 hour summer (35 hours in winter) per week (will involve weekend and occasional evening work). These positions are for characters 1, 2 and 3.
3 x temporary positions; 18 March 2019 -3 November 2019, 37.5 hours per week (will involve weekend and occasional evening work). These positions are for characters 4, 5 and 6.
6 x casual positions
To fit into the playing range of one or more of the above characters and work as and when needed.
About The National Museum of the Royal Navy
The National Museum’s vision is to be the world’s most inspiring Naval Museum: inspiring, learning, enjoyment and engagement with the story of the Royal Navy and its impact in shaping the modern world.
This is an exciting opportunity for talented performers to be involved with the new HMS Warrior interpretation. Costume interpreters will entertain and engage with visitors using the unique setting of HMS Warrior, bringing the story of the ship and its crew to life. You will delve into your character and live and breathe their job roles and lives for visitors to experience.
This brand new project offers a chance to work consistently throughout the year, engaging and delighting visitors.
- To immerse visitors on board HMS Warrior by embodying the ship’s personnel. Inspire visitors with the story of HMS Warrior and the people who lived and worked onboard during its prime.
- To accurately relay the workings of the ship and understand the Victorian Era and the events that shaped the characters’ lives.
- Work alone or with other team members in outdoor and indoor spaces.
- To deliver an outstanding level of customer care to all of our visitors.
- Opportunity to use real life stories and history to interact and engage with visitors.
- Work within a unique heritage environment.
- Chance to be a full time performer and costume interpreter.
Applicants must have a recent qualification or relevant experience in acting or costume interpretation; and display an interest in developing knowledge of HMS Warrior and its crew to share with visitors.
Applicants must have experience performing, preferably within a heritage site or visitor attraction, as well as performing with other actors and on own to large groups of people. Required experience in a customer service role.
For full details of the characters we are casting please see Character Specification document or click here
For further details, or an informal discussion regarding the role, please contact Carmen Flynn on 023 9289 1370 ext. 2094 or carmen.flynn@NMRN.org.uk
Applicants are asked to submit a CV, headshot and a statement indicating how their knowledge and experience match those specified. Applications should be forwarded to the HR Team at recruitment@NMRN.org.uk and are required by 12pm on Tuesday 5 February 2019. The selection process will be held week commencing 11 February 2019 in Portsmouth.
Boathouse 4 is located in one of the oldest and most historic parts of the Historic Dockyard. Few visitors realise that we have been building wooden boats here for hundreds of years.
Would you like to join our team of volunteers?
Do you love Portsmouth, Wooden boats and our Naval Heritage?
Could you tell visitors the story of Boathouse 4?
Boathouse 4 has been restored and is now open as a FREE attraction at Portsmouth Historic Dockyard and we are looking for enthusiastic volunteers to join our team
Our volunteers get involved in;
- The conservation and restoration of small boats from the Portsmouth Naval Base’s collection that come to us for repair or restoration.
- Leading a daily tour of our workshop floor telling visitors about the work underway.
- Telling our visitors about the significance and history of small boats in the Royal Navy and building boats in Boathouses 4,5,6,7.
- Demonstrate aspects of woodworking/boatbuilding or rope making to visitors – Training can be provided.
- Welcoming and interacting with our visitors.
- Help with our ‘hands-on’ activities and workshops for all ages.
- Crew our fleet of WWII boats.
For an application form or more information please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
We are looking for catering staff to help in Boathouse 7 restaurant during the February half term. This will be a temporary assignment but there will be more hours later in the year for the Easter and Summer holiday periods and also weekend work from April.
The successful candidates must be well presented, reliable, hardworking and demonstrate excellent customer service skills. If you are interested in this role then please contact James or Scott on 02392 731552 or email email@example.com.