Job vacancies at Portsmouth Historic Dockyard and its associated attractions are advertised within these pages and externally in the relevant press. Please only apply for vacancies that are available as we are unable to reply to speculative letters.
Visitor Experience Manager
Salary (Grade 4): £22,350 per annum (£14,697.36 pro rata per annum)
Hours: Annualised hours contract average of 24.66 hours per week (7.5 hour shift per day); 26.25 hours per week in peak season (April to October):
- Week 1: Wednesday, Thursday and Friday
- Week 2: Tuesday, Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday
22.5 hours in off peak season (November to March):
- Week 1: Wednesday, Thursday and Friday
- Week 2: Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday
Location: Work across National Museum of the Royal Navy in Portsmouth Historic Dockyard; Submarine Museum and Explosion in Gosport
We are recruiting for a Visitor Experience Manager to join our operations team working in a unique heritage environment. This is an exciting opportunity for someone looking for an operational management role to deliver a first-class visitor experience in all our exceptional attractions at Portsmouth Historic Dockyard and Museums based in Gosport.
This role reports to the Operations Manager and works as part of a team of Visitor Experience Managers, this varied role is pivotal in supporting the NMRN’s vision to become the world’s most inspiring Naval Museum.
We want every visitor to have an extraordinary and enriching experience, every time they visit. We are looking for an experienced leader who will be confident in motivating and engaging our Team Members and Volunteers to deliver such an experience for our visitors. We are also looking for someone with the Commercial aptitude to develop and grow different income streams across the site to build on a sustainable future for the Museum.
A key part of the role will be to manage the Visitor Experience team to ensure the security of the location and all its components, with special attention to buildings and collections, and that the safety of all visitors and staff is maintained. The Visitor Experience Manager will be responsible for managing any incidents within the NMRN sites, including evacuation and first aid.
The ideal candidate will have demonstratable knowledge of:
- People management and motivating teams.
- Customer service and customer care principles.
- Commercial operations and understanding of a typical Museum trading operation.
- Health and Safety requirements and a willingness to learn more.
The ideal candidate will have experience of:
- Working in a supervisory or management role in tourism, museum, or heritage organisation.
- Working in a customer focused environment including commercial activity.
- Motivating people to achieve their best.
- Delivering an outstanding customer experience.
- Making informed decisions and working autonomously.
- The opportunity to be part of a friendly and diverse workplace within a unique heritage environment.
- Free onsite parking.
- Discounts at our shops and cafes.
- Discounted tickets for family and friends.
- 23 days annual leave (plus bank holidays) pro-rata, increasing to 25 days after 5 years’ service (potential for this to increase as work is currently being undertaken to review annual leave allowance).
- Group pension plan with Royal London (6% employer contributions, 2% employee contributions and death in service benefit).
- Employee Assistance Programme.
- Digital mental wellness support.
- Leadership training.
For further details, or an informal discussion regarding the role, please contact the Operations Manager on email Jordan.firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applicants are asked to submit a CV and a statement indicating how their knowledge and experience match those specified. Applications should be forwarded to the HR Team at recruitment@NMRN.org.uk and are required by 12pm on Monday 10 May 2021.
Due to the Coronavirus pandemic and our responsibility to ensure appropriate safety measures are in place, we will be conducting the interviews in Portsmouth on Wednesday 19 May 2021. We would like to assure you that appropriate safety measures are in place and these are reviewed on a regular basis as the safety of our staff is of utmost importance to us.