Schools out and you’re looking for ideas to keep the family occupied this half term. Portsmouth Historic Dockyard has an array of activities throughout the February Half Term and best of all they’re free with a valid attraction ticket.
A 50-minute guided tour of HMS Victory by one of our professional guides will give visitors a real insight into what it would have been like to sail on Nelson’s Flagship. You will learn where phrases like ‘square meal’ and ‘let the cat out of the bag’ originated and be amazed at how your bed became your coffin if you were unfortunate enough to die at sea.
Climb to the top of the 28ft tower in Action Stations, escape from pirates in the simulator ride and try your hand at flying a replica Merlin helicopter, just like the one on the navy’s newest and most advanced warship HMS Daring, equipped with realistic controls and buttons.
· ‘Object Detectives’ on board HMS Victory - this activity runs on Thursday 19th February 11am – 1pm & 2pm – 4pm.
· ‘Maritime Globetrotting’ at the Royal Naval Museum takes place on Wednesday 18th February (11am -1pm & 2pm - 4pm).
· ‘Tudor games and pastimes’ at the Mary Rose Museum running daily during half term 11am – 12noon and 2pm – 4pm.
· ‘Follow the Flag’ family trail on board HMS Warrior 1860. This activity runs from 10am – 4.30pm daily.
· ‘Crack the Code on board HMS Warrior 1860’ - Tuesday 17th and Wednesday 18th February 11am to 4pm.
The clock is ticking and soon the Mary Rose Ship Hall will be closing for construction work to begin on the multi-million pound project to develop a brand new museum over the existing ship hall structure. The works will start in the autumn but don’t worry, the Mary Rose Museum will be open throughout and will continue to provide and interesting interpretation of the ship through a variety of interactive displays.
The Mezzanine Cafe inside Action Stations will be selling teas, coffees, light refreshments and snacks during half term and is run by established DW Bars (one of the main providers of catering for our many events).