Boathouse 4 is located in one of the oldest and most historic parts of the Historic Dockyard. Few visitors realise that we have been building wooden boats here for hundreds of years.
Would you like to join our team of volunteers?
Do you love Portsmouth, Wooden boats and our Naval Heritage?
Could you tell visitors the story of Boathouse 4?
Boathouse 4 has been restored and is now open as a FREE attraction at Portsmouth Historic Dockyard and we are looking for enthusiastic volunteers to join our team
Our volunteers get involved in;
• The conservation and restoration of small boats from the Portsmouth Naval Base’s collection that come to us for repair or restoration.
• Leading a daily tour of our workshop floor telling visitors about the work underway.
• Telling our visitors about the significance and history of small boats in the Royal Navy and building boats in Boathouses 4,5,6,7.
• Demonstrate aspects of woodworking/boatbuilding or rope making to visitors – Training can be provided.
• Welcoming and interacting with our visitors.
• Help with our ‘hands-on’ activities and workshops for all ages.
• Crew our fleet of WWII boats.